This will depend on whether or not you have incorporated your practice. If you incorporate, you will file a T2 Corporation Income Tax Return and a T1 Income Tax and Benefit Return. If you are a sole proprietor, you will be taxed as such and only required to file the T1 Income Tax and Benefit Return. Additionally, If you are part of a partnership, you would need to file a T5013 Partnership Return.

The T1 General Income Tax and Benefit Return is the main tax return filed by individuals to calculate their annual personal tax liability. Individuals must report their total earnings from all sources including employment income, interest and dividends, capital gains, rental income, foreign income, etc.

The government also requires that all resident corporations file the T2 Corporation Income Tax every two years, regardless of whether or not there is an amount owing. These returns must be filed within six months of the end of the corporation’s tax year, which is determined by the end corporation’s fiscal period.

Lastly, the T5013 Partnership Information Return requires that, in addition to providing data on the partnership as a whole, each partner files an income tax return to report their personal share of the partnership’s net income or loss. This form is simply used to show the CRA financial information pertaining to a physician’s company but is not used to calculate tax liability.

Have further questions? or are interested in receiving assistance in filing these returns, contact one of our advisors today here – we are here to help!

About the Author: Alex Powell

CPA CA, Director

Sign up for free access to

“Top 70 Tax Deductions”
for Medical Professionals

Get the latest top tax deductions instantly, delivered straight to your email.

Continue Reading

Get a free, personal consultation.

Call us today at (905) 815-6559

Request a Consultation